Chapter 10: When Author Is Nothing Like The Main Character

When you´re writing a story, you want to have main characters that are appealing in some way. The main characters are often very interesting, courageous, pretty, smart and I could keep going on like this forever.

It´s good to write about things you know the best... It is somehow easier. So it shouldn´t come as a surprise to you that authors often project themselves into main characters. They have the same opinions, same sense of humor, same values and oftentimes they even look a lot like their creator.

But... When I write I simply can´t use myself as an image for perfect and flawless main female character. Why?

For starters, I am not graceful and nonchalant. As a matter of fact, I´m the exact opposite. When I walk down the street I stumble and fall. A lot. If there is one single bump on a completely smooth road you can be damn sure that I´m going to find it and stumble because of it.

I´m not good with make up either. When I put on red lipstick and I flash a big smile at someone I like, there is a 98 % chance that I have red lipstick also on my teeth. Charming...

The main characters are witty and always know what to say and when to say it. I don´t. What I do, is often just keep silent with an awkward smile.

I´m not elegant either. When I get all dressed up it has become some sort of a rule that I have to spill something all over my clothes.

So there you have it. I´m awkward, clumsy and no elegant at all. If I´m not writing about the weird girl with extreme talent for finding herself in awkward situations, I simply have to use my imagination.

What about you? Do you project yourself into the characters in your stories? Let me know in a comment!